Thursday, May 5, 2016

Dear Birth Mother

Ben and I are supposed to be working on our profile. I'll be honest though... we haven't done much with it yet. Not because we don't want to, but for me anyway, I'm not quite sure how to go about it all. The facilitator says speak from the heart, and don't stress over it. But hello!... this is how the birth mother will first decide if she wants to connect with us. It's kind of a big deal. These pictures and words are a big deal to me because I'm well aware of the impact that they will have on changing my family. I know once I start the words will come, but why is it that starting is often the most difficult part?

The one part of I have thought a lot about is the letter to the birth mother. It's supposed to be a short letter telling her what we have to offer her baby in our family. When I was at my health coach retreat, we talked about writing a vision statement. My vision was bringing my little girl home. And the more I've thought about it, the more it has turned into the letter to the birth mother. But again those doubts come in, and I wonder if I'm approaching it in the right way. So any feedback would appreciated.

Dear Birth Mother,

Home. I'm home. We're home. The boys are finally asleep. They were so excited to finally meet their little sister today. They just wanted to constantly love on her and hold her. I'm climbing into bed myself now. Ben wraps his arms around me as we settle in for the night. As I listen to her sweet sleeping breaths in her little bed next to mine, the tears start to flow. I am overwhelmed with love, joy, and gratitude. And I think of you.

Her tiny cries wake me, and I tend to her needs and hold her close. As she falls back to sleep, I watch her beautiful face in wonder. And I think of you. As the hours pass... I think of you. As the days pass... I think of you. She is learning so many new things. Her brothers adore her and protect her, but they also teach her how to be fearless and brave and strong... it about gives me a heart attack some days! Her daddy is smitten, but then again so am I. I love watching him be a daddy to a daughter. It pulls at my heart strings in the same, yet different ways. And all the while... I think of you.

Years pass. And I still think of you. We all do. I know. She knows. We all know. We couldn't be the family we are without you. She was always meant to be a part of our family. And you were always meant to be her mother. We love her with all of our hearts. And we love you just as much for bringing her into this world. We think of you. Often. With love. With gratitude. With respect. Thank you.


No comments:

Post a Comment

This is meant to be a safe place for me to share and to have others share their stories in return. SO with that being said, please follow the rule 'If you can't say anything nice, then don't say anything at all.'