Wednesday, May 4, 2016

So the answer came...

As some of you may know, I wrote a post about feeling a very real loss for the little girl I never had. If you haven't read it, you can read it here if you're interested. That post stemmed from the exciting news my sister was having a little girl. I'll be honest. I was an emotional mess. I just didn't understand. I thought I had made peace with my desire to have a baby girl. I have 5 babies... shouldn't that be enough to fill my heart?

That breakdown made me really evaluate myself, as well as start some deep heart-felt conversations with God. I needed to know why I felt the way I did. I needed some answers from within and from God. I needed peace. What I didn't realize at the time was that God was breaking down my walls, so He could build the life He knew I needed to create.

One night, I had boys up off and on, and I was laying in bed exhausted, but wide awake. I tried without success to fall asleep for 20 minutes or so. When that didn't work, I decided I'd head out to the couch to ponder, pray, meditate... I thought maybe if I could address the thoughts in my head I'd be able to finally get some sleep. And it was a whole spectrum of thoughts... the am I making the right choice, what do I need to do/learn, why didn't I have a baby girl, what part of the picture/plan am I missing, etc. kind of thoughts.

As I sat there seeking answers in the quiet of the wee hours of the morning, they came. Several. Actually. Answers of assurance and peace that reminded me to not only have a little faith in God, but more than that to have a little faith in myself. Answers about things I need to do... finish the children's book, I wrote words for when Landon (my third son) was a baby. And adopt. We are supposed to adopt.

When morning came, Ben and I were saying our good byes as he was getting ready to leave for work. I told him, I felt like we were supposed to adopt. His response was OK, and he left for work. I wanted to be like Sally from Cars when she questions Lightening McQueen on what he means by OK... Do you mean OK? or OK? or OK? (each said with a different inflection). Life went on, and it didn't really come up again right away.

We arranged with my MIL to babysit the boys one morning so we could go to the temple. We hadn't been in a while, and we enjoy the peace we find there, so made plans. We got the boys up early and dropped them off with Grandma. As I found my seat, I had a prayer in my heart that the Lord would help me to learn something. That He would help me know what I needed to know.


 I spent most of the two hours holding back tears or in tears. With all those tears, my poor husband was concerned for my well-being. I reassured him I was fine, but until the session is over there isn't much time to talk. Once it ended, we had a chance to sit and talk in the peace of the temple.

Basically, I came to realize that God knew I would only be able to biologically have 5 children of my own, but He also knew our family wouldn't be complete until there were 6 kids. If I had had a girl earlier in that line up, we would have been content, and we wouldn't have considered adopting.... which means our family would have never been truly complete. God planted the desire for a girl in my heart from the beginning, so when the time was right I would realize I needed to go and find that baby girl. My sister finding out she was having a baby girl was what needed to happen... as painful as it was... so that my thinking would shift and adoption would become a reality. And my sweet baby girl chose to come to earth through another mother because she knew we would come find her and make her a part of our family.

As I was telling Ben, I was a little worried he would agree to adopt because it was what I wanted, and he loves me enough to support me in whatever I'm passionate about pursuing. But in the case of adoption, I wanted us to be on the same page and both of us just as passionate about it. I shouldn't have been worried because just like in the case of us getting engaged, he was on board way before me, but was waiting for me to be ready and the time to be right. We came home that day knowing we were without a doubt going to adopt.

Since then, we have researched our options and started on the path to adoption. Some doors have opened and some have closed. We are being lead. There are still a lot of uncertainties, a lot of hurry up and wait times, a lot unknowns, but there is also a lot of faith and one known that overshadows all the rest... Our baby girl is waiting for our family.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is meant to be a safe place for me to share and to have others share their stories in return. SO with that being said, please follow the rule 'If you can't say anything nice, then don't say anything at all.'